May 4th

Today we drilled in the room and an on a small green west of Grand River till about 3 o’clock P.M. when all the companies present formed on ____ street and marched out to the fair ground two miles south of the city. The fair ground farms are paved and the house upon it which is a large, narrow, semicircular building forms our barracks. There are three rows of bunks and on each side placed one above another calculated to accommodate four persons. Today we ate our first camp meal in a large shedlike building, which is being constructed, and which when done will accommodate the entire regiment. Eight of our men were detailed on guard immediately on arriving at camp.

The 3rd Michigan was quartered at Cantonment Anderson, fairgrounds at Jefferson Ave. and Hall Street, which was 2 miles south of the city of Grand Rapids, MI at that time. It was later referred to as Camp Kellogg or Camp Lee. The site was abandoned after 1861. See more of the site history here.